fbpx

Forum

Elevator bungee too stiff  

RSS
Super27
(@super27)

Hi, 

Love my new Alpha yoke. 

However I feel that the elevator is too stiff for my taste.  Many other users have reported this on various forums as well. 

Can Honeycomb produce a replacement bungee for the elevator function that has lighter tension than the current unit? Preferably a small kit with replacement instructions?

Thank you very much for your consideration! 

Posted : 06/11/2019 9:04 am
JR-Super
(@jr-super)
Posted by: @super27

Hi, 

Love my new Alpha yoke. 

However I feel that the elevator is too stiff for my taste.  Many other users have reported this on various forums as well. 

Can Honeycomb produce a replacement bungee for the elevator function that has lighter tension than the current unit? Preferably a small kit with replacement instructions?

Thank you very much for your consideration! 

Hey Super27, 

Maybe you need to trim your aircraft better or increase the sensitivity more !?

In my opinion I really like the rigidity of the yoke. It gives me the feedback like in a real aircraft. If it is to stiff I need to trim the aircraft more and the stiffness decreases.

Great Yoke! Well done Honeycomb 🙂

Always happy landings!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2019 12:58 pm
ress
 ress
(@ress)

If I found this kind of stiffness of the elevator during a preflight, I would  check to insure there is no binding of the elevator cables, and also check for proper cable tension.

Although I really like the yoke a great deal and I can get used to using a little more trim in the sim, it is a little too excessive and would hope they make some adjustments when they build future yokes. 

ress

Happy Landings
ress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2019 10:40 pm
SirDag
(@sirdag)

I just setup my new Yoke... I really love it.... but, alas it too suffers from being too 

stiff... about 1/2 the current stiffness would be very welcome.... the first 1/2 inch of 

travel up or down ( in or out ) is fine, then it really gets hard to push.

Please engineer a small package to replace current pieces with new softer pieces.

I am eager to add the throttle unit to this Yoke!

Regards,

SirDag

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2019 2:08 am
dlmoRAGEgaming
(@dlmoragegaming)

May be something that will become easier in time, and maybe was designed slightly stiff for that reason.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2019 3:00 am
Honeycomb Aeronautical
(@honeycomb-aeronautical)
Member Admin

Hello All,

Unfortunately at this time, we'll be unable to provide parts for less tension. We designed the yoke specifically to have a very similar feel to a Cessna 172. This is typically the main aircraft many student pilots use. The force of the elevator gains with further travel, this is what we intended to do as this is very common in many aircraft. I have a video below where Austin from X Plane explains this detail.

Start at 23:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlkHh9zlxIk&t=494s

Hope this helps out!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2019 7:02 am
Super27
(@super27)

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply!

Looks like I will have to wait until the warranty is over and then I will be able to experiment with different bungees myself. 

Hopefully Honeycomb will change its mind and provide bungees with different strengths for its customers. 

I realize that they tried to mimic the C172 controls, but for myself the difference in force between pitch and roll is just too great. And when flying an airliner the roll force required is too little.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2019 10:06 am
szcsongor
(@szcsongor)
Posted by: @honeycomb-aeronautical

Hello All,

Unfortunately at this time, we'll be unable to provide parts for less tension. We designed the yoke specifically to have a very similar feel to a Cessna 172. This is typically the main aircraft many student pilots use. The force of the elevator gains with further travel, this is what we intended to do as this is very common in many aircraft. I have a video below where Austin from X Plane explains this detail.

Start at 23:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlkHh9zlxIk&t=494s

Hope this helps out!

I also find it very stiff. I'm actually a pilot flying regularly with C172 and I honestly find it less hard to move the elevator in the real plane than here... At least on the ground, when there is no airflow around the control surfaces.

But other than this it's a great yoke, I just think it might have needed some fine tuning.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by szcsongor
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2019 9:55 pm
CrashLanding
(@crashlanding)

I also thought this at first but got used to it, in my trial flight IRL I was told to fly just with finger tip pressure and to use the trim wheel constantly to achieve this.

It’s a good habit I’m starting to relearn in the sim😱 —- so once the Bravo is released I’ll be a happy boy as my GoFlight trim wheel no longer works since Mac OS Catalina dropped 32 bit support.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2019 11:29 am
ress
 ress
(@ress)

Although it has bee many years since I flew I flew GA airplanes including the 172, Pipe Arrow 28R, 140 and 160, and owned an Aeronica Chief I still feel the elevator forces are excessive. I do firmly believe and used  trim when flying, but this yoke requires more trim use then normal to alleviate the heavy stick force. 

If I did prefilight or inspection on a 172 or any other GA aircraft and experienced that amount of elevator force I would have inspected the control cables to insure there was no binding and the cable tension was incorrect.

Happy Landings
ress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2019 7:52 pm
Almost Aviation
(@almost-aviation)
Posted by: @ress

If I did prefilight or inspection on a 172 or any other GA aircraft and experienced that amount of elevator force I would have inspected the control cables to insure there was no binding and the cable tension was incorrect.

I'm not sure how relevant that observation is. Given that this yoke can only simulate one tension, it's likely set up for where you will spend most of your time using it. This means it probably simulates some compromise between the forces you'd feel at cruise and approach speeds. I flew C172s too (albeit breifly) and my recollection was that trim was much more important than in the 152 because of the bigger control forces. I think this is gets it just about right, although the much weaker aileron forces seem incongruent.

This post was modified 2 days ago by Almost Aviation

MarkH

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 7:16 pm
ress
 ress
(@ress)

While you make a valid point about the yoke being designed for in flight, the fact remains the majority of reviews came to the same conclusion that the elevator forces are higher then normal, this from simmers and real world pilots alike. Last week I had a chance to fly at the controls of a 172 for about 30 minutes after 15 years since my last flight.  The local airport gave free rides to veterans and I was able to get a ride in a 172 with a CFI in the left seat as I am not current. Yes I did the find the elevator forces to be a little easier then the Alpha yoke forces making it easier to trim the 172.

Having said that it is a far better yoke then the Saitek and CH yokes in quality and precision and I feel in time the elevator forces will be lessened some as the bungees relax with use.

Happy landings

ress

Happy Landings
ress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/11/2019 10:47 pm
Almost Aviation
(@almost-aviation)
Posted by: @ress

the majority of reviews came to the same conclusion that the elevator forces are higher then normal

I'm not sure this is what I see. I have seen many point out the discrepancy between the two axes, but not all have criticised the elevator forces specifically. It's also notable that the Honeycomb elevator forces are still about 25% less than those of the Yoko, which is probably the most highly-regarded yoke out there.

MarkH

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/11/2019 7:51 am
Share:

Please Login or Register