fbpx

Forum

Dead Zone  

RSS
Simmer
(@simmer)

Honeycomb,

There is a lot of chatter online, including detailed analysis of the Alpha Yoke, regarding dead zones that may be programmed into the firmware. Could you advise if the yoke can be updated via USB and if Honeycomb has plans to make such an update available to remove dead/null zones.

Simmer

Posted : 06/12/2019 9:56 pm
dlmoRAGEgaming
(@dlmoragegaming)
Eminent Member

There is no deadzone in X plane 11 it seems to only be an issue on other sims.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 9:17 pm
Almost Aviation
(@almost-aviation)
Posted by: @dlmoragegaming

There is no deadzone in X plane 11 it seems to only be an issue on other sims.

It is nothing to do with the sims. You can demonstrate the dead zones without having any sim running. Windows Control Panel, DIView, etc. I certainly see dead zones in X-Plane.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Almost Aviation

MarkH

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2019 10:18 pm
dlmoRAGEgaming
(@dlmoragegaming)
Eminent Member

I can't say I have checked on those, but in game there doesn't appear to be any deadzone for me, even if there is it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on stable flight. But i have seen  mentioned that a deadzone seems to be more noticable on sims other than xplane.

This post was modified 2 months ago by dlmoRAGEgaming
ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/12/2019 3:21 am
Simmer
(@simmer)

Has anyone heard if there is a planned fix for this via USB firmware update?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2019 4:53 pm
flyboydanmke
(@flyboydanmke)

What dead zone.  Just checked on Windows 10 and any bump/movement of the controls that I can physically register results in the cursor moving.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2019 8:55 pm
Almost Aviation
(@almost-aviation)
Posted by: @flyboydanmke

What dead zone.  Just checked on Windows 10 and any bump/movement of the controls that I can physically register results in the cursor moving.

It would help to hear more detail about what 'checked on Windows 10' means?

MarkH

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2019 9:16 pm
flyboydanmke
(@flyboydanmke)

@almost-aviation

Checked the calibration using the game controller calibration in Windows that has been around since the old days of Windows. It shows the yoke registers motion to the slightest movement in all axies so there no dead zone. If you have a noticable dead zone, the sensor may be bad. Try using USB 3 instead of 2.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2019 5:08 pm
Almost Aviation
(@almost-aviation)
Posted by: @flyboydanmke

@almost-aviation

Checked the calibration using the game controller calibration in Windows that has been around since the old days of Windows. It shows the yoke registers motion to the slightest movement in all axies so there no dead zone. If you have a noticable dead zone, the sensor may be bad. Try using USB 3 instead of 2.

Yes, the Game Controller Settings screen is one of the several ways of spotting the dead zones. That is, BTW, a very low-resolution indicator unless you turn on 'show raw data'. I have demonstrated this in my review video. I have demonstrated several other ways to show it in my follow-up video. You can also see it in X-Plane's calibration screen.

I don't know what you mean by a 'bad sensor'. There is no reason why a potentiometer should be 'bad' in a specific part of its range that has been arbitrarily designated as the mid-point of some axis. It has been shown that there is no obvious mechanical factor. And by the way, there are two sensors (assuming you mean the pots), which are of different types, and both axes have dead zones. More than one person has observed dead zones, so it seems likely to be a systematic artefact, whether by design or not.

You don't say why you think a USB3 connection would make any difference, but it seems implausible.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Almost Aviation

MarkH

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2019 5:55 pm
Simmer
(@simmer)

Hi All - Has anyone seen any further information on this, or have further developments/insight to share?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2020 6:24 pm
Share:

Please Login or Register